Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Gay 90's

My afternoon of volunteering on Friday was a learning experience. There were probably about 50 kids, and about 30 of us volunteers. We got there before the kids arrived, so we helped clean and organize the facility. I was at the Boys and Girls Club, which I learned is a place for 6 to 18 year old to go Monday through Friday. The kids can come and go as they please, which is something the Club has been criticized for. Once the kids arrived, we were able to help them with their homework, read with them, or play games. We played tag, and then a very long game of kickball. Although we only were with them for a few hours, I was exhausted. Of course the kids still had plenty of energy. Most of the kids seemed to be good kids, but a couple of were not the nicest. There were also a couple of little girls that were very clingy to the volunteers. You just have to wonder what kind of home they come from.

My Friday night was just spent relaxing. I was pretty tired from the whole week, so it was nice to just lay back and watch a movie. Reign on Me with Adam Sandler and Don Chidle is really good, really sad, but really good.

Saturday I got up with the intentions of getting a lot done. It started out well. Deja and I went for a nice run. Its been a long while, so I was impressed that I made it about 2.5 miles without stopping. It felt good.

I was planning on running some errands and then getting some solid studying in, but then my mother-in-law called. She was in town with her friend, and invited me to lunch and shopping at Ikea. Sounded like a good idea to me! After all that shopping, we decided to have an afternoon drink - martinis! Then they invited me to go to dinner with them, and then go downtown to the Gay 90's. Something new! I was excited. So I drove back home fed the dog, let her out, all that, and of course felt completely guilty for leaving her right away again.

The Gay 90's was awesome! There was a drag show, and those ladies were unbelievable! Some of them wore such skimpy outfits for their skits, it made you wonder "where is it?" Haha! Fun Fun!!

Today I slept in, and I am very sore from my run yesterday. I am hoping to get some studying in today, as this weekend has not been productive at all. I hope I can study and watch the Vikings! Blaine comes back today! Yay! After he hears what I did last night, he may not want me hanging out with his mom again!

Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Congrats on the house, Steph! I'm very excited for you!